- Proof of Age and Identity
A person is required to establish proof of age and identity by submitting to the issuing clerk one of the following age related documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Baptismal Record
- Naturalization Record
- Census Record
And one of the following
- Driver's License
- Employment picture ID
- Immigration record
- If either applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, such applicant(s) must present the written consent of both parents.
- Check with the Clerk's office for specific legal documents if you are 14 or 15. If either are under 14, forget the whole thing.
- Forty dollars in cash or check.
- Divorce papers if you were divorced
- Be sure to have the exact date of death handy if a previous spouse is deceased.
- Be aware that a marriage license is not good for 24 hours after it is issued and will expire 60 days thereafter.
- Call the Clerk's Office for an appointment to obtain the license.
- Remember that both parties must be present - they are signing an affidavit.
- No, there are no blood test requirements in New York State.